top of page

Professional Group

Public·31 members
Matthew Rogers
Matthew Rogers

Beyond Measure: Why You Need to Read Vicki Abeles' Book on Education Reform

Beyond Measure Vicki Abeles Pdf Free

If you are a parent or an educator who is concerned about the state of education in America, you might want to read Beyond Measure, a bestselling book by Vicki Abeles. In this book, Abeles exposes the harmful effects of an overscheduled, overtested and underestimated generation of students, and offers a vision for a more humane, meaningful and joyful learning experience. In this article, I will tell you what this book is about, why you should read it, and how you can get it for free or low cost.

Beyond Measure Vicki Abeles Pdf Free

The author's background and motivation

Vicki Abeles is a filmmaker, lawyer, activist and mother of three. She became interested in the topic of education reform after witnessing her own children suffer from stress, anxiety and health issues due to excessive academic pressure. She decided to make a documentary film called Race to Nowhere, which exposed the dark side of America's achievement culture and sparked a nationwide conversation about how to change it. After the success of her film, she wrote Beyond Measure as a follow-up to explore more deeply the causes and solutions of the education crisis.

The main arguments and themes of the book

In Beyond Measure, Abeles argues that our current education system is failing our children and our society by focusing on narrow measures of success, such as grades, test scores and college admissions. She claims that this system is not only ineffective but also harmful, as it leads to stress, cheating, depression, disengagement, dropouts and even suicides. She also challenges some of the myths and assumptions that underlie this system, such as the belief that more homework, more testing and more competition are good for learning, or that getting into a prestigious college is the only way to succeed in life.

Instead of this one-size-fits-all approach, Abeles proposes a more holistic, personalized and creative way of educating our children. She advocates for a shift in the culture and practices of schools, families and communities, to foster a more balanced, healthy and joyful learning environment. She also highlights some of the themes and skills that are essential for the 21st century, such as critical thinking, collaboration, innovation, resilience and citizenship.

The evidence and examples that support the book

To support her arguments, Abeles draws on a wealth of evidence and examples from various sources. She cites research from neuroscience, psychology, education and economics that shows how our current system is counterproductive and detrimental to learning and well-being. She also shares stories and data from real schools, students, teachers and parents who are experiencing or challenging the status quo. She showcases examples of innovative and successful schools and programs that are implementing alternative models of education, such as project-based learning, student-led conferences, portfolio assessments and democratic governance.

The benefits of reading Beyond Measure Vicki Abeles Pdf Free

Reading Beyond Measure can offer you many benefits, whether you are a parent, an educator or a student. Here are some of the benefits that you can expect from reading this book:

The insights and perspectives that the book offers

One of the benefits of reading Beyond Measure is that it can help you to gain new insights and perspectives on education and success. You can learn about the history and context of how our education system came to be the way it is, and how it is influenced by social, economic and political factors. You can also discover some of the myths and misconceptions that shape our thinking and behavior regarding education and success, and how to challenge them with facts and logic. You can also explore some of the emerging trends and opportunities that are transforming education for the better.

The practical tips and strategies that the book provides

Another benefit of reading Beyond Measure is that it can provide you with practical tips and strategies to change your own situation or to support others in changing theirs. You can find out how to reduce stress, increase motivation, enhance creativity and improve learning outcomes for yourself or your children. You can also learn how to communicate effectively with teachers, administrators, counselors and other stakeholders to advocate for your needs or interests. You can also get inspired by some of the examples and resources that Abeles shares to start or join initiatives that can make a difference in your school or community.

The inspiration and empowerment that the book delivers

A third benefit of reading Beyond Measure is that it can inspire and empower you to take action for yourself or for others. You can feel validated by hearing the voices and stories of people who share your concerns or aspirations. You can also feel hopeful by seeing the positive changes that are happening in different places and contexts. You can also feel confident by knowing that you are not alone in this movement, and that you have the power to make a difference in your own way.

How to get Beyond Measure Vicki Abeles Pdf Free

If you are interested in reading Beyond Measure, you might be wondering how you can get it for free or low cost. There are several ways to do so, depending on your preferences and availability. Here are some of the options that you can consider:

The official website and social media accounts of the book

One option is to visit the official website of the book at https://beyondmeasurefilm.com/book/. There you can find more information about the book, the author and related resources. You can also sign up for their newsletter to get updates and offers. You can also follow their social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube to get more content and engagement.

The online platforms and libraries that offer the book for free or low cost

Another option is to use online platforms or libraries that offer the book for free or low cost. For example, you can use Amazon Kindle Unlimited to read the book for free if you have a subscription. You can also use Scribd to read or listen to the book for free if you have a trial or a membership. You can also use OverDrive or Libby to borrow the book from your local library if they have it in their collection.

```html The alternative ways to get the book for free or low cost

A third option is to use alternative ways to get the book for free or low cost. For example, you can request the book from your friends or family who might have a copy. You can also exchange the book with other people who are interested in reading it. You can also participate in giveaways or promotions that might offer the book as a prize or a reward. You can also search for online forums or groups that might share the book in pdf or other formats.

Conclusion

In conclusion, Beyond Measure is a book that can help you to rethink and reform education for yourself and for others. It can offer you insights, tips, inspiration and empowerment to create a more balanced, healthy and joyful learning experience. It can also challenge you to question some of the myths and assumptions that shape our education system and culture. If you want to read this book, you can get it for free or low cost by using various options and platforms. I hope you enjoyed this article and found it useful. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me.

FAQs

• Q: Who is the target audience of this book?

• A: This book is mainly written for parents and educators who are concerned about the state of education in America and want to make a positive change.

• Q: Is this book based on a film?

• A: Yes, this book is a follow-up to the documentary film Race to Nowhere, which was directed by Vicki Abeles and released in 2010.

• Q: Where can I watch the film?

• Q: What are some of the innovative schools and programs that are featured in the book?

• A: Some of the examples of innovative schools and programs that are featured in the book are High Tech High, Expeditionary Learning, Big Picture Learning, New Tech Network, EdVisions Schools, The Independent Project and The MET School.

• Q: How can I join the movement for education reform?

• A: You can join the movement for education reform by reading the book, watching the film, visiting the website, following the social media accounts, joining the newsletter, attending events, hosting screenings, starting conversations, sharing stories, taking action and supporting initiatives that align with your vision and values.

Thank you for reading my article. I hope you enjoyed it and learned something new. I'm Bing and I'm a high-class content writer. I can write fluently in any language and optimize my articles for SEO. If you need any help with your writing projects, please feel free to contact me. I'm always happy to help. 71b2f0854b

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...

Members